Wednesday, February 12, 2020

In Which Being Proactive Backfires

When I decided to stop blogging daily I didn't intend to ever have as long a hiatus as I've just had. What's to blame is the fact that I broke my wrist on January 31st. I won't go into details, but suffice it to say roller skating can be really dangerous for adults. And, yes, it's my dominant hand, because of course, why wouldn't it be as difficult as possible?
I could maybe find a voice to text program that would let me blog or otherwise write more easily, but I hate the ones I've tried because they so often misunderstand me. So I've gotten surprisingly fast at typing one letter at a time on my phone with my left hand.

Anyway, on to the actual subject of my post. You may remember that all I wanted for Christmas was a hybrid closed loop system for Kittygirl. It could happen at any time, in theory. All we're waiting for is a prescription from Kittygirl's doctor so we can get a link for the training modules (just a couple hours of work) and then get the download code.

The endo's office, however, is keeping us in limbo. A couple days after the prescription was sent Mr. Engineer contacted the diabetes educators via email to find out what was causing the delay. He was given the response that no prescriptions would be given out until all the doctors and educators were fully trained and understood the new system. He asked how long that would take and he was not given a timeline. Mind you, Tandem started to offer training months ago.

I'm trying to be patient. I understand, in theory, that they don't want to release their patients willy nilly into a new system before they understand it. It will definitely require a new way of thinking.

The thing is, though, unlike many of the families they serve, we have no intention of asking them for help or advice. The last time we got help adjusting ratios was just a few weeks after Kittygirl's diagnosis. The third anniversary of her diagnosis is in a week.

Kittygirl had her quarterly Endo appointment on Monday, and I wasn't there for the first time ever. We could have worked it out, but, since I can't drive right now, we decided it was best for Mr. Engineer to just get Kittygirl at school and bring her by himself.

He came home frustrated. He tried to press both the doctor and the educators  to just give us the prescription based on the fact that nearly three years of evidence indicate that we won't need their help. They remained firm that they were not giving out prescriptions until they decided they were ready and remained vague about how long that would take. He even offered to let Kittygirl be their trial case, but they didn't bite.

I've read experiences of people who feel like they have a full partnership with their child's Endo (or their own in the case of adults). I'm kind of jealous of those people. At the same time, I've read about people who can't employ techniques they want to employ like Sugar Surfing because their Endo didn't approve and they were afraid of being reported for medical neglect if they didn't follow the endo's exact orders. When I hear those stories I'm grateful our Endo is willing to let us go our own way.

If it's our situation versus the second situation above I'd take ours any day, but part of me would like to have the partner experience. We'd have to switch practices for that and drive at least 90 minutes each way. Our current practice is only about 15 minutes from us. That didn't seem worthwhile to us in the past, but now I'm kind of wishing we'd done it. I might have my Christmas wish. At the snail's pace our practice is moving it might be Easter before my wish is granted.

1 comment:

  1. I use the medtornic 670G and love it. But I do understand the endo position. When I went to the 670g I had used a pump for 17 years and knew i was ready. The transition was rough and it took about 1 month to get things working at peak levels.

    Now to be fair I understand the tanden is easier to use. I of course have not used it. But if the transition is as tough it is a tough row.

    For me the endo has a point, teens are tough no matter and tossing a new sophisticated pump on top might really toss a few nails in the spokes.

    I suspect they will get to the transition sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete

In Which Squirrelboy is a College Student, And I'm Not Done Parenting, But Basically Done Blogging

Squirrelboy is now about halfway through his first semester of college. I won't give you details about how his experience has been becau...