Monday, September 30, 2019

In Which I Am the Parent of a Boy Scout, a Cub Scout, and a Girl Scout (Despite Only Having Two Kids)

Scouting has been a wonderful experience for our family. In this post I've included a picture that Squirrelboy managed to take of himself at sunset, while backpacking across Isle Royale National Park (it's in Lake Superior and it's the least visited national park in the continental U.S., look it up) this past summer with his Boy Scout troop.

Mr. Engineer is an Eagle Scout. My scouting experience was not nearly so monumental. I participated in Indian Princesses (apparently the equivalent now is Adventure Princesses) through the YMCA with my Dad through most (maybe all, I honestly don't remember) of elementary school, which was scout-like. I was also a member of a Brownie troop at my school for at least one school year (maybe two), but I didn't actually continue in the troop after crossing the bridge to Juniors. Scouting just wasn't my thing, especially the outdoor parts of scouting. Mind you, I enjoy the occasional hike through a beautiful natural area, even a long hike that takes a large portion of the day. However, my ideal outdoor activity is to lie outside in a hammock and read a good book. I also really like my bed, and it's too big to fit into a tent.

It's a good thing I wasn't totally set on my kids having the same view of the outdoors that I do, because otherwise married the wrong man. He got Squirrelboy involved with Cub Scouts as a Tiger in first grade, the first year he was eligible. Squirrelboy went all the way through and earned his Arrow of Light, the highest honor in Cub Scouts. He then dove right into a Boy Scout troop in the spring of 5th grade. In addition to providing him with lots of great campouts and backpacking opportunities, scouting has grown Squirrelboy as a person and as a leader. He has spent quite awhile now in the position of troop quartermaster. That puts him in charge of making sure the right supplies make it to every outing. For an ADHD kid who struggles with details you might think this job would be a nightmare, but he thrives in it. When it comes to on the ground experiences, Squirrelboy's learning and attention differences don't hold him back one bit in scouts. In fact, according to Mr. Engineer (I have to take his word for it since I've never been on a Boy Scout campout), Squirrelboy is the best version of himself on campouts. Somehow his brain focuses in just the right way in that environment. Badges that require a lot of writing are a whole different story, but I like to think they're teaching him to persevere and pursue what he wants even if it involves some things he doesn't like.

Kittygirl, having watched her scout brother from babyhood, knew she wanted to be a scout as soon as possible. When she was in kindergarten there were two choices: Girl Scouts or American Heritage Girls. We visited an American  Heritage Girl troop that met at the local Catholic cathedral. They did some cool stuff and we enjoyed the meeting, but it was just a little too Catholic for us. Though they were very welcoming to us as protestants, I decided scouting didn't also need to include regular lessons in Catholic prayers and theology. We then attended an interest meeting for Girl Scouts, where we learned that a new Daisy troop was being started at Maxwell. A girl from her class and her mom were at the meeting as well, and we both decided to sign up our girls. Kittygirl is still in this troop, now in her second year as a Brownie. The troop doesn't do a lot of outdoor activities, but they do all kinds of other amazing things, including service projects, coding, and more. All the girls in the troop are from her school and they've all become friends. None of them bat an eye when Kittygirl has to get insulin for snack at meetings or treat a low blood sugar. Originally Kittygirl attended Girl Scouts on her own, but, after her T1D diagnosis, I started attending meetings with her to take care of any diabetes needs during the meeting. At this point, I spend very little time one Kittygirl's needs and my role has morphed into more of an assistant leader, though all the planning is done by the amazing troop leader and all I have to do is show up. I've really enjoyed getting to know some of Kittygirl's classmates in a different environment.

Before I experienced Kittygirl's awesome Girl Scout troop, I often lamented that Cub Scouts wasn't open to girls, because I thought that Kittygirl would really enjoy it and I was sure the program was better than the Girl Scout program (turns out it's not better, just different). Well, lo and behold, as Kittygirl's second grade year began Cub Scouts was opened up to girls. She wanted to join, but didn't want to leave her amazing Girl Scout troop behind. I originally told her that she could do both for one year and then she had to choose. Not surprisingly, she adored Cub Scouts. She and the one other girl in her den (dens are officially divided by gender) became fast friends. She loved all the activities and especially the campouts. Interestingly, campouts are a great thing for her disability as well. Due to all the activity, her blood sugar is the best version of itself at campouts. It's usually in range over 80% of the time on campout weekends no matter what she eats with very little work on our part, except for giving her food without insulin when she starts to go low. Keeping her blood sugar in range 80% of the time on a normal day is possible, but a whole lot more work than it is on a campout day. Mr. Engineer is Kittygirl's den leader, and all the events are aimed at the whole family, so it's not weird that, for instance, one of us needs to be with her on overnight events for diabetes care, because all the other kids are with at least one parent for overnight events as well.

As you probably figured out, in the end we have let Kittygirl continue with both scout organizations for a second year. It makes her schedule even more insane (I'll write a post about her insane schedule some other time), but she has gained so much and learned so much through both her troop and he pack that it makes the insanity worth it.

I can't swear that scouting is right for your kid, of course, but, whatever brand of scouting fits your family best, it's absolutely worth trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Which Squirrelboy is a College Student, And I'm Not Done Parenting, But Basically Done Blogging

Squirrelboy is now about halfway through his first semester of college. I won't give you details about how his experience has been becau...